DiskFerret Release Notes
- Clean up logic of license dialog.
- Add deletion of product GUID keys from registry delete license operation.
- Add removal of configuration file on delete license operation.
- Fix problem where nag dialog is displayed after activating and where canceling the nag dialog exits DiskFerret.
- Fix Monitor typo
- Remove commercial restriction from free and personal versions
- Allow DiskFerret Free to run without license key
- Split DiskFerret into Free, Personal, and Pro editions
- Add Open Folder to file pop-up menu
- Add Properties to folder and file pop-up menu
- Corrected problem with attributes on some special case files. (e.g., pagefile.sys)
- Corrected problem related to % display when using French & Russian Locale
- Added open log file menu items to help menu
- Fixed problem in Excel XML Workbook where Excel is reporting bad data for values expressed as a percentage.
- Fixed problem with detail view refresh after a search operation.
- Add additional text to ValidateLicense problem message box.
- Automatically remove  if entered into key field of Activation dialog.
- Force uninstall of previous DiskFerret installations prior to installing new version
- Fix installer to register qlm dll properly for x86 & x64
- Drive Monitors continuously monitor local or remote drive free space and notifies you via email when you are low on space.
- Scheduled Tasks allow unattended scans at a scheduled time and can be configured to run Once, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
- Interactively scan multiple paths and drives at the same time.
- Analyze multiple paths or drives.
- Find duplicate files across paths or drives.
- Export scan results to Microsoft Excel Workbook XML file and share disk analysis results with any Excel user.
- Floppy drives are not displayed in the tree view.
- Correct installer for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Corrected several dialog layouts to handle various skins.
- Added file create and access date to filtering capabilities.
- Table column width and visibility retained across sessions.
- Deleting a duplicate file does not rescan.
- Pie chart labels improved to display more labels when aspect ratio of screen allows.
- Corrected problem where "Expand node on single click" setting could result in an underlying node to be selected when navigating via the tree view.
- Corrected rare problem where pie chart would display only 1 color.
- Applet fails to open Configuration dialog.
- Removed Substance look and feel (low use skins, and reduces application footprint).
- Changed license agreement to allow non-simultaneously use by a single user on up to 3 fixed computers.
- Added ability to release license (for purpose of moving to another computer).
- Changed Filter dialog to include clarity and instructions to user.
- Added Visual C++ 2008 redistributable to installer.
- This version includes a new Search utility that includes powerful features to help you find the files you need fast! Search by name, date, owner, attributes, date, and size. And, search for text within files. Combine any of the search criteria to find the exact files you need. The search dialog makes it easy, and if you are a real power user you'll love the regular expression capability built into DiskFerret's search engine.
- DiskFerret v1.4.3 has been tested to meet all of the technical requirements to be "Compatible with Windows® 7".
- DiskFerret is now signed with a Microsoft Authenticode Certificates from VeriSign. VeriSign® Code Signing Certificates for Microsoft® Authenticode® authenticate DiskFerret's identity and validates code integrity.
Miscellaneous enhancements and fixes:
- Transparent repeating image displayed over a data view to indicate that the view is filtered or in search mode.
- After selecting home, clicking a slice of a pie chart will not display the selected sub-folder.
- Fixed several issues with hard links, junction points, mount points, symbolic links and shortcuts.
- Document DiskFerret behavior for links and shortcuts.
- Enter key was not working when a path or UNC was keyed into the address bar.
- Added a screen overlay on data views to indicate when view is filtered.
- Delete operation failing on 64 bit systems.
- This version runs as a native 64 bit process on 64 bit Windows platforms. DiskFerret has always run on 64 bit Windows operating systems, but it ran as a 32 bit process under Windows' WoW64 subsystem on 64 bit systems. Now, DiskFerret runs as a 64 bit process on 64 bit systems, and as a 32 bit process on 32 bit systems. If you manage a variety of systems and need to install and run DiskFerret on any or all of those systems without the hassle of managing different installers for each platform, the DiskFerret installer makes it easy because one installer handles both x86 and x64 systems.
- An address toolbar has been added to the main user interface which provides a method for power users to enter a drive, folder, or network share UNC to quickly navigate to a specific location in the file system. It also serves a dual purpose of providing a history of locations that you have visited during a DiskFerret session and lets you select those locations from the address drop down list to quickly navigate back to a previous location. The address bar also provides a method to access file locations that would otherwise be hidden in the file tree, such as when local disk drives are hidden by a Windows group policy.
- In many cases when you analyze disk usage you need to visually inspect a file to determine whether it should be retained or deleted. DiskFerret now makes it easier by providing the ability to "launch" a file from any data view by double clicking the file, or by clicking the right mouse button and selecting the Open menu item from the context menu. When a file is opened from a detail view, or a chart view, DiskFerret uses the Windows file associations to launch the associated application and opens the file so that you can view the file immediately without having to manually open the file via the application or manually navigating to it via Windows Explorer.
Miscellaneous enhancements and fixes:
- The Cleanup Wizard is now available in DiskFerret Lite. DiskFerret Lite is free! It runs as an applet in your browser and doesn't require any installation, and includes all of the functionality of the full version of DiskFerret, except analyzing network drives and file ownership.
- The number of folders and number of files for the selected drive, share or folder are now displayed in the data view status bar.
- A "Select all" menu item and keyboard accelerator has been added to edit menu for convenience.
- Several memory leaks were corrected.
- DiskFerret Lite has been modified to use native Windows calls for file size analysis to improve performance. Scan times for DiskFerret Lite are now almost as fast as the full version of DiskFerret.
- Fixed a problem with an exclude filter on hidden attributes that was also hiding drives in the tree view.
- DiskFerret Lite should not follow Windows shortcuts (links).
- Filters enhanced to allow multiple rules per filter.
- Filter rules allow filtering by file name, date, size, attributes and owner.
- Filters are now available in DiskFerret Lite.
- Memory consumption indicator added to status bar.
- Treemap display is 5x faster.
- Reduced Treemap memory consumption by 50%.
- Changed default Treemap depth to 4 from unlimited.
- Pressing the backspace or Alt-Left Arrow key invokes the back button, Alt-Right Arrow invokes forward.
- Right mouse button context menu available for charts and tree view.
- Menu items (go to) for accelerators - alt-home, alt-backspace, alt-left, alt-right.
- Add right mouse button menu to charts where appropriate.
- Added navigation hot keys - alt-left, alt-right, alt-home, alt-up, backspace.
- Option to collect file owner on 1st scan.
- DiskFerret Lite - Skins now available.
- DiskFerret Lite - Duplicate files analysis now available.
- DiskFerret Lite - Fixed applet position problem in Firefox.
- Clicking on the Refresh action in DiskFerret Lite causes the applet to fail. It is trying to load a licensing module, which is unnecessary for Lite.
- Tool tips in tree view display size of drive, used space, and free space.
- Reduced memory consumption for large scans by 30%.
- Scan speed up to 15 times faster.
Version 1.2.0 has the ability to save scans. After scanning a drive, folder, or network share you can save the scan to disk and open it later, or share the scan with a coworker.
This version also includes a Cleanup Wizard that guides you through a few simple steps to clean up junk files and remove temporary internet files, cookies, internet and desktop history in order to protect your privacy.
Computer Privacy Issues are gaining a lot of attention recently, and for good reason. Internet fraud and identity theft is increasing rapidly, and there is more awareness and concern about online privacy issues. The recent Wall Street Journal's investigative report, What They Know, found that the top 50 US. websites installed an average of 64 tracking tools on visitors' computers. Of those files, an average of 44 were installed by outside companies - the rest were installed by the websites themselves. Many of those so-called third party companies are in the business of tracking consumer behavior across the Internet. It is time to take these things seriously.
Today, most of the attacks against your privacy and identity take place through the data stored on your own computer. A lot of personal and private data can be extracted by a determined hacker once they gain control over your computer. Should you leave data on your computer that hackers can find? Don't like the idea of websites tracking you forever after you've visited their websites? Concerned about other users with access to your computer looking at your working and web browsing activities? DiskFerret's Cleanup Wizard can help. By answering a few questions the Cleanup Wizard guides you through the steps necessary to remove space wasting junk files and cleans your desktop and Internet Explorer temp files, cookies and history.
A big privacy concern that most users are not aware of is that clearing Internet Explorer's cache via Internet Explorer Tools gives users a false sense of security. Internet Explorer creates a file named index.dat that functions as a redundant database of information such as web URLs, recently opened files and search queries. This file cannot be easily erased because it is always open when Windows is running. Open files are considered "locked" and cannot be deleted in any way when they are open. Even after a user has cleared their temporary cache, either manually or via Internet Explorer's Tools, the information in the index.dat file is not removed and the file is not deleted. If not deleted the index.dat file provides information about your working and browsing habits in the same way that temporary files do to anyone with access to the computer. DiskFerret's Cleanup Wizard has the technology to delete the index.dat file. Just answer a few questions, and your privacy is protected. Easy, and fast. Try DiskFerret for 30 days, for free.
Version 1.1.0 contains two new charts. A treemap, and a concentric ring chart, both of which provide a single view of a folder and all of it's subfolders and files. These charts make it easier than ever to identify the space hogging files at a glance. Other enhancements in this version include reducing memory consumption to 50% of previous levels, and reducing the size of the installation package by more than 85%. If you are new to DiskFerret, download our latest version and check it out. If you are aleady a licensed user of version 1.0.x you can download and install version 1.1.0 at no additional fee.